Empowerment through Education:
Ensuring that Every Child is Ready for College, Work and Life
ABOUT THE EDUCATION EMPOWERMENT CENTER (EEC)
The Education Empowerment Center houses innovative programs to support academic achievement, civic involvement, and physical and emotional development of children and youth.
HOW WE HELP
Since 2009, the League of Greater Kansas City's Education Empowerment Center has worked to improve educational opportunities for African-American and underserved students by developing innovative programs to support their academic achievement and to encourage their civic engagement,
PROJECT READY: ACT NOW - SIGNATURE PROGRAM
Ensuring that urban students are equipped with the skills, tools, and resources they need to achieve academic and career success is a primary focus of the Urban League’s Education Empowerment Center (EEC). The Education and Youth Empowerment initiatives provided through our EEC include Project Ready: ACT Now! and ACT Now! For Girls.
ACT Now! is a comprehensive ACT test prep, college, and career planning initiative for 10th through 12th grade students that seeks to improve performance on ACT tests, increase college eligibility and prepare participants for college, career, lifelong learning, and economic self-sufficiency.
ACT Now! For Girls is a comprehensive life skills, mentoring/coaching, financial education, college, and career planning initiative that is designed to improve academic achievement, teach study skills and test-taking skills, and prepare young girls for successful matriculation middle school to college.
- Individual and Small-Group tutoring
- Test-Taking Skills Classes
- Study Skills Classes
- Individual Success Plans
- Annual Scholarship Fair
- College Planning Workshops and Financial Aid Guidance
- Career Planning Seminars and Career Fairs
- Parent Education and Empowerment Workshops
- Healthy Lifestyle Workshops and Health Screenings
- Community Service Opportunities
What have Project Ready participants achieved?– 90% of Participants achieved the following:
- Increased ACT test scores
- Increased knowledge about college and careers
- Improved test-taking and study skills
- Increased college eligibility and admissions
- Improved attitudes towards the importance of high academic achievement
- Higher participation in extracurricular activities and community service
- Increased access to college scholarships
- Improved classroom academic performance
- Increased parental engagement
- Students graduating from high school and attending college
- Students serving as community leaders
- College graduates succeeding in careers and/or entrepreneurship
- College graduates giving back to their community as volunteers and role models
- ACT Prep online application |
- Hallmark Cards * CitiCards * UMB Bank * CVS * Target * Reed Family Foundation * Heart of America United Way
Call us at 816-471-0550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Who sponsors Project Ready: Act Now?